WHAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR (if shown on insurance schedule)
If your trip is cancelled; up to the amount specified on your Insurance Schedule
We will repay you for your proportion of expenses you have paid or legally have to pay for your unused travel and accommodation and fees for instruction/guiding or courses/tours forming part of your trip which you do not use if you have no choice but to cancel the trip as a result of one of the following commencing during the period of insurance:
- Your death, injury or illness or that of your travelling companion (not including a tour leader or someone you have paid to provide any part of your trip), the person you are going to stay with, a close relative or business associate.
- You or your travelling companion being required by the police to stay at home as a result of burglary, or serious damage by fire, explosion, subsidence, storm flooding, vandalism, fallen tree or impact by aircraft or vehicle to your or their home or usual place of business in the United Kingdom.
- You or your travelling companion being required for jury service or as a witness in a court of law in the United Kingdom as long as you became aware of the commitment after taking out this policy or booking the trip (whichever is later).
- You being made involuntarily redundant if you are under 65 and have 2 years’ continuous employment with the same employer.
NOTE: For single-trip cover, cancellation insurance starts on the date of issue shown on your insurance schedule. For annual multi-trip cover, each trip is covered when you book it or on the start date shown on your insurance schedule, whichever is later.
If your trip is cut short; up to the amount specified on your Insurance Schedule
You will be covered for your proportion of expenses you have paid or legally have to pay for travel and accommodation and fees for instruction/guiding or courses/tours forming part of your trip which you do not use if you have no choice but to cut short the trip and you return home for one of the reasons given below.
1. One of the following people is injured, falls ill or dies:
a. you or the person you had arranged to travel or stay with
b. a close relative
c. a business associate
2. Your home is damaged and not fit to live in, or the police ask you to return because your home has been burgled.
Delay; up to £250 (the amount specified on your Insurance Schedule)
If the transport on which you are booked as a passenger for your outward or return journey is delayed or cancelled due to one of the following reasons: Storm, Flood, Industrial action, Bad weather, Mechanical breakdown of train or sea vessel, Grounding of the aircraft due to a mechanical or structural defect, you will receive one of the following.
- Compensation of £25 for each full 12 hour period that you are delayed, up to a limit of £250. We will work out the length of the delay based on the difference between your scheduled time of arrival and your actual arrival time at your final destination.
- Your cancellation charges (up to the amount shown on the insurance schedule and subject to the excess shown on the insurance schedule) if, after a 12 hour delay to the departure of your outward journey from the United Kingdom, you decide to cancel the trip.
Missed departure (extra travel and accommodation expenses); up to £1000
If one of the following takes place during the period of insurance you will be covered for the cost of reasonable extra accommodation and travel expenses to allow you to carry on with your trip if you arrive at your international or final departure and you are unable to board your booked scheduled transport:
- labour dispute or protest, civil disturbance, mechanical breakdown or bad weather which interrupts your scheduled public transport services including booked connecting flights.
- an accident or breakdown involving the car taking you to your United Kingdom departure point.
- avalanche or danger preventing exit from a ski resort which delays departure for your return home.
- the insolvency or placing into receivership of the scheduled airline you are booked to travel home with preventing your scheduled flight from operating. (This cover does not apply to United Kingdom departures or where it is public knowledge that your booked airline had ceased operating before you left home)
Kidnap and hijack cover:
If during the period of insurance you are kidnapped or your scheduled transport is hijacked and you are detained against your will for a period of more than 24 hours you can claim £500 for each 24 hour period you are detained up to £5,000 in total.
Catastrophe cover; up to £500
If during the period of insurance you are prevented from using your accommodation because of fire, flood, earthquake, you will be covered for the reasonable extra cost of accommodation and travel, to move to other accommodation.
Applicable to ski and board policies only or annual Multi trip policies with wintersports cover.
Piste closure; up to £500
Piste closure is only available for holidays starting after the 10th of December and ending before the 30th of April. If the weather prevents skiing at the resort you are booked into, you will be covered for the reasonable transport costs to take you to a different resort and for the cost of a lift pass there. If it is not possible to arrange transport to a different resort, you will receive £30 for each whole day’s skiing lost.
As well as the general conditions, the following exclusions and conditions apply:
Exclusions for piste closure
- You will not be covered for any amount you can get back from someone or somewhere else.
- You will not be covered if you take out this insurance within 14 days of going on your trip, unless you booked the trip at the same time (or for annual cover, at the time of booking any trip).
- You will not be covered if the weather prevents ski racing, training or competition.
- You will not be covered for holidays within the United Kingdom.
Conditions for piste closure
- Cover will only apply for as long as there are poor snow conditions at your resort.
- You must get written confirmation from the appropriate authority to confirm that the piste was closed or that it was not possible to travel to another resort.
WHAT YOU ARE NOT COVERED FOR
As well as the general conditions, the following exclusions and conditions apply:
Exclusions for cancellation and cutting short a trip
- You travelling against medical advice or to get medical treatment.
- Amounts you can get back from someone or somewhere else.
- Costs which have been paid for on behalf of a person who is not insured under this policy.
- If, at the time of taking out this insurance (or booking the trip if this was later) your close relative, business associate or travel companion had a medical condition for which he or she:
- was receiving treatment at hospital (other than where they go to hospital for check-ups for a stable condition, at regular intervals which have been arranged beforehand)
- was waiting for a hospital consultation, investigations or treatment (other than where they go to hospital for checkups for a stable condition, at regular intervals which have been arranged beforehand)
- had been given a terminal prognosis, or been told that their condition is likely to get worse in the next 12 months;
We will not pay for any claim you (or any insured person) make, that has anything to do with the medical condition of that close relative, business associate or travel companion.
5. We will not pay the excess amount (as shown on your insurance schedule) of every claim made for each of you (£10 for each of you for deposit only claims unless you have paid the additional premium to remove the policy excess).
Additional exclusions for cancellation
1. You are not covered for:
- your deciding you no longer want to travel;
- labour disputes;
- government regulation, acts of parliament or currency restriction;
- your financial circumstances or unemployment other than redundancy (if you qualify for payment under the redundancy payment legislation, that is, you are under 65 and have 2 years’ continuous employment with the same employer);
- the tour operator or anyone you have made travel or accommodation arrangements with failing to provide the arrangements.
- If you fail to get a valid passport or other travel document you need.
CONDITIONS FOR CANCELLATION
- You must do all that you can to get to the airport, port or station you are leaving from on time.
- If you do not tell the travel agent, tour operator or organisation providing transport and accommodation as soon as you need to cancel your trip, the amount we pay will be limited to the cancellation charges that would have applied at that time.
ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS FOR CUTTING SHORT A TRIP
1. You are not covered for:
- activities other than those for which the appropriate premium has been paid, riding or driving in any kind of race, flying except if you are travelling as a passenger in a fully licensed passenger carrying aircraft, or any other dangerous activity;
- knowingly or deliberately putting yourself at risk (unless you are trying to save someone’s life);
- your taking part in manual work in connection with profession, business or trade;
- your suicide or attempted suicide, deliberately injuring yourself, solvent abuse or the effect of alcohol or drugs;
- your motorcycling, as either driver or passenger of a motorcycle which is more than 125cc, unless the driver holds a current licence which allows them to ride a motorcycle of more than 125cc.
2. We will not cover any claim related to you falling, climbing or moving around the outside of any building (apart from access ways), sitting, planking, balconing, owling or lying on any part of any building, and you jumping from any height (unless in an attempt to save someone’s life).
3. We will not cover any claim as a result of;
- the effect of your alcohol, solvent or drug dependency or long term abuse
- you being under the influence of alcohol, solvents or drugs, or doing anything as a result of using these substances (this excludes drugs prescribed by a GP, unless they are for the treatment of drug addiction).
CONDITIONS FOR CUTTING SHORT A TRIP
- If you go into hospital and are likely to be in for more than 48 hours or you have to return home early, someone must contact Assistance International for you immediately.
- Before you return home early for medical reasons, you must get a doctor’s certificate to confirm that this is necessary and that you are fit to travel.
- If you return home early because of illness or injury to a close relative or business associate, you must get a doctor’s certificate confirming that this was necessary.
- If we pay for your unused travel, we will not also make payment for your additional travel.
EXCLUSIONS FOR DELAY
1. You are not covered for:
- insurance taken out within 4 weeks of the date you are due to leave if it is public knowledge that the journey could be delayed;
- claims caused by the tour operator, or any other provider of transport and accommodation, who stops trading; or
- amounts you can get back from someone or somewhere else if you decide to cancel the trip.
EXCLUSIONS FOR MISSED DAPARTURE
1. For claims in respect of the financial failure of your scheduled airline, you are not cover for:
- any scheduled airline in Chapter 11 insolvency at the date of issue of the travel insurance policy or booking.
- any scheduled airline who is bonded or insured elsewhere (even if the bond is insufficient to meet the claims).
- any travel agent, tour organiser, booking agent or consolidator with whom the insured has booked a scheduled flight.
- your outbound flight from the United Kingdom.
- any claim where it is public knowledge that your booked airline had ceased operating before you left home.
CONDITIONS FOR MISSED DEPARTURE
- You must do all you can to arrive at the airport, port or station you are leaving from on time.
- In the case of a labour dispute, you will only be covered if a dispute is announced and begins during the period of insurance.
- If you miss the departure because your car breaks down or you are involved in an accident, you must send us a repairer’s or police accident report. If your missed departure was caused by an accident not involving the car you were travelling in, you must obtain written confirmation from the police that the accident resulted in traffic delays to your airport, port or station.
EXCLUSIONS FOR KIDNAP AND HIJACK COVER
- You are not covered for your acts, which would be a criminal offence in the United Kingdom if committed in the United Kingdom.
- You are not covered for claims where you are held for less than 24 hours.
CONDITIONS FOR KIDNAP AND HIJACK
- Your company, you or your family must not be involved in any political or other activity which would increase the risk under this insurance.
- Following a hijack, compensation will start from the scheduled arrival time of your transport and will finish when you are released. You must provide written confirmation of this from your scheduled transport provider.
- Following your kidnap, compensation will start from the time the kidnap is reported to the authorities and will finish when you are released. You must provide written confirmation of this from the relevant authorities.
- You are not covered if you travelled against Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice or if you disregard safety or travel advice given by any government or other authority.
EXCLUSIONS FOR CATASTROPHE COVER
1. You are not covered for the following:
- Costs which may be refunded from someone or somewhere else;
- Costs which you would have had to pay during your trip if the problem had not occurred;
- Any claim where you do not produce a receipt for the costs you have incurred.
CONDITIONS FOR CATASTROPHE COVER
- The accommodation that you move to must be near to the accommodation that you had originally booked and of a similar standard.
- You must provide written confirmation from the police or the company you had booked the original accommodation with confirming that you were unable to use it and stating the reason.