Is theft of climbing equipment covered whilst left unattended at the bottom of climbs?

As from vehicles and tents, if at all possible, you should lock unused equipment in your car. If this is not possible, cover is not excluded but the problem with police reports is an ever present reality. Keep an eye on your equipment at all times and do not leave it unattended if at all possible.

Is theft from unattended vehicles covered?

Only during the daytime and if the vehicle is locked. Theft of valuables and Electronic/Techno Pack Equipment (as defined in the policy, eg. money, jewellery, camera equipment, electronic equipment etc) is not covered unless from a locked room or building. If you have to leave your vehicle unattended overnight, remove your belongings and take them in to the building you are staying in. On outward or return journeys, if you stay in a motel on an overnight trip, we do not expect you to unload the whole car but any valuables should be removed.

Is theft from tents covered?

Similar conditions apply as for theft from vehicles, particularly in respect of valuables. Whilst you cannot lock a tent, losses can be prevented by placing items of value in a locked car whilst you are out during the day time. We do not expect you to pack away all of your belongings but do not leave any items of value lying around in view if at all avoidable. You must report any theft to the police within 24 hours of discovery. If there has been no evidence of a theft, they may be reluctant to provide a police report which could prejudice your claim.

Is search and rescue insurance included?

All Snowcard Policy levels include search and rescue under the Medical and Accident section of the policy unto £100,000 (see condition 06.)

Is off piste skiing covered?

We do not have an exclusion for off piste skiing or a requirement that you are only covered off piste with a guide. If you are ski touring/mountaineering or heli-skiing (including snowcat skiing) you must take the appropriate higher level of cover.

We do expect clients to follow local resort safety warnings, particularly relating to avalanche risk. Wilfully ignoring safety warnings or deliberately avoiding avalanche risk warnings can put your cover at risk. If in doubt about the safety of particular runs or ski areas, you should seek the advice of the piste authorities and follow their recommendations.

WARNING! Younger skiers and boarders or inexperienced boarders are statistically at greater risk of injury, particularly off piste or in snow parks. Please seek professional guidance or instruction to ensure your skill levels help you avoid injury.

Is helicopter rescue covered?

Yes, the costs of helicopter or ground based rescue is covered within the Medical and accidental expenses section of the policy (see condition 6). Your Snowcard gives evidence of medical and rescue insurance. The 24 emergency number should be called as soon as practical by you or someone acting for you. Rescue and medical fees can be guaranteed and paid directly for you if necessary. It is allowable for your guide to instigate rescue without reference to us although the emergency assistance service (see your eSnowcard) must be contacted as soon as possible. Rescue must be because of an emergency situation covered by the policy.

Is decompression treatment covered?

Yes, emergency medical treatment following decompression illness or sickness is included under the Medical and accidental expenses section of the policy

Is cover for loss or theft on a new for old basis?

No. Account is taken of age and current market value.

Important information for clients aged over 75 - policy age limit

Unfortunately we are unable to offer travel insurance quotation for persons aged over 75. For information on obtaining a quotation from an alternative provider, please visit the British Insurance Brokers’ Association website at: www.biba.org.uk

I have an annual policy with another insurer, can I buy cover for just the days I will be doing my activity?

If you have an annual policy with another insurer and you require cover for just a short duration of higher risk activity with Snowcard, you CAN NOT purchase a few days of cover in the middle of a longer trip insured by your other policy. For a Snowcard policy to be valid, you must insure the full duration of your trip from UK departure to UK return for your cover to be valid.


Can't find what you are looking for?

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Your details