Cover for Coronavirus Covid-19
IMPORTANT: Booking travel during the global coronavirus pandemic carries additional risks some of which are not covered by insurance. Please refer to the information below which details policy cover in relation to Covid-19.
Advice Applicable to All Travel Arrangements
(applicable to policies purchased after 6 November 2020 - if you purchased a policy before 6 November 2020 please contact Snowcard with any questions relating to policies numbered 6xxxxx)
You must check the FCDO web site for country specific advice.
It is your responsibility to check the FCDO website for country specific entry requirements and to arrange and pay for any required Covid-19 PCR tests. These are widely available (click here) – note there is no insurance cover if you are denied boarding or entry to your destination country because you have failed to comply with any travel regulations in place at the time of your journey.
If the FCDO do not advise against travel to any country world-wide, you will benefit from the full policy cover including the Covid-19 cover detailed below.
If the country you are visiting moves from one level to another during your holiday, you will continue to be covered in line with the level the country was at when you departed.
If between booking your holiday and your travel date, the country you are visiting moves from the green to red list or the destination country refuses to allow visitors from the UK, you must speak with your travel agent or tour operator about your options. There is no insurance cover for additional costs incurred (including UK quarantine costs) because of changes in government advice relating to the Covid-19 pandemic or cancellation costs for disinclination to travel because of a change in the government traffic light level for your destination country.
If you test positive following your pre-departure test prior to coming home, cover is provided for any additional accommodation (room-only) and travel costs, such as amended flight costs.
Demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status - click here
IATA Travel Regulations Map - click here
Please note: Government legal requirements relating to international travel should be followed - legal requirements over-ride FCDO advisory guidance for international travel (refer to condition 03. of the General Conditions).
Before purchasing insurance please read the Cancellation Right in our terms of business. All policies include a 14 day cooling off period (other than short term policies of less than 28 days duration from policy issue to scheduled return date) - policies are non-cancellable after the 14 day cooling off period.
SNOWCARD TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICIES INCLUDE SOME IMPORTANT COVER FOR COVID-19 although not all situations are covered so please refer to the advice below:
Outlined below are the most common scenarios illustrating how your policy covers you during the coronavirus pandemic. This cover only applies to policies purchased after 6 November 2020.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice
- If the FCDO do not advise against travel to the country you are visiting you will be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation cover as detailed below if you contract COVID-19.
- If FCDO advice against travel is specifically in relation to the coronavirus pandemic and you are travelling within Europe you will be covered as detailed below if you travel against FCDO advice.
- If the FCDO advise against travel to a destination for other reasons, for instance due to terrorism threat, we will not provide any cover.
- Before you travel please check the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) website to get the most up to date information on travel guidance.
What is covered:
BEFORE YOUR TRIP
- You fall ill with COVID-19 before you are due to travel - Provided you have had a positive NHS test result within 14 days of the start of the trip, or if you are hospitalised due to Covid-19 within 28 days of the start of the trip you would be covered for cancellation (if you have selected the cancellation option of cover). Please note you must have not had symptoms or a positive diagnosis before you booked your holiday or purchased your policy for the cover to be valid.
- Your travelling companion falls ill from COVID-19 - Provided they have had a positive NHS test result within 14 days of the start of the trip, or they are hospitalised due to Covid-19 within 28 days of the start of the trip you would be covered for cancellation (if you have selected the cancellation option of cover). Please note they must have not had symptoms or a positive diagnosis before you booked the holiday or purchased your policy for the cover to be valid.
- You, or a travelling companion, are denied boarding by the transport operator as a result of a positive test or temperature reading - You would be covered for cancellation (if you have selected the cancellation option of cover) of your holiday pre departure if you or a travelling companion were denied boarding at the point of departure due to this reason.
ON YOUR TRIP
You get COVID-19 whilst abroad and require medical treatment:
- Medical expenses - would be covered as standard within the terms and conditions of the policy.
- You have checked in at your holiday accommodation, but they need to close as a result of COVID-19 - If you have checked in to your accommodation, and it then has to close, you will be covered for curtailment if you have selected the cancellation option of cover of your holiday. You should approach your tour operator or travel company to assist you in the first instance as they have a duty of responsibility to you, which should include finding suitable alternative accommodation.
- Additional costs following the diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19) while abroad - Under the medical expenses section of the policy it will offer cover for room only and travelling expenses for you. Cover will also be provided for a close relative or travelling companion to remain with you, but only if the person who tests positive is a child or vulnerable adult requiring care from a responsible adult.
- During your trip you fall ill with COVID-19 and you require a medical escort to help you home - We will pay to return you to the UK with a medical escort if deemed necessary by the local doctor and with the approval of our 24 hour emergency assistance team.
- You fall ill with COVID-19 while abroad and as a result need to extend your stay - Your policy would automatically extend to cover this.
- Hospital benefit in the event of you being admitted overnight due to COVID-19 - The policy has hospital benefit cover included as standard.
- The FCDO travel advice changes whilst I am abroad - You do not need to curtail your trip if the FCDO advice changes due to COVID-19. You can continue your holiday knowing that your policy will still be valid and offer you cover.
What is not covered:
BEFORE YOUR TRIP
- The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advise against travelling to your intended destination due to COVID-19 - No cover is provided to countries where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office or World Health Organisation has advised against travel, or all but essential travel unless this advice relates solely to COVID-19 and you are travelling within Europe. Currently, for worldwide policies, there is no cover for COVID-19 if you travel against FCDO advice.
- You are contacted under the track and trace initiative and advised to self-isolate - You would only be covered if you have had a positive NHS test result within 14 days of the start of the trip, or you are hospitalised due to Covid-19 within 28 days of the start of the trip.
- The government introduces compulsory quarantine for travellers coming back from your intended destination and you no longer want to travel - There is no cover under this policy for not wanting to travel. There is no cover for any costs (e.g. loss of earnings) due to having to quarantine on your return.
- You are shielding or your doctor has advised against travel because of COVID-19 - People who are shielding in the pandemic are advised not to travel. We wouldn’t expect people who are shielding to be booking to travel, as this is an know risk. You would not be covered if your doctor advises against travel after you have booked your trip. However, if the current pandemic disappears, shielding stops, and you book a future trip and subsequently receive a positive NHS test or hospitalisation due to a future pandemic, cover would be provided as above.
ON YOUR TRIP
- You are refused entry into a country due to COVID-19 - You would only be covered under the medical expenses section of cover if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and this is the reason you cannot enter. For any other costs, your tour operator or travel company should help you and you should contact them for help.
- The area where your are staying is placed into lockdown by the local government and you can not return home - You should contact your tour operator or travel company for help.
- While you are on holiday there is a spike in local cases, and you wish to cut short your holiday - There is no cover in this instance.
- The area you are staying in is locked down on the instruction of local government or public health officials - There is no cover in this instance.